Posted: April 18th, 2017
Describe how you will address this gap in nursing practice with your preceptor. Write out exactly what you might say to this RN to professionally address the current evidence for the nursing care of patients.
- You begin your career in an acute care hospital as a newly licensed RN. During your orientation, you observe your preceptor checking gastric feeding tube placement by injecting air and auscultating the abdomen, stopping continuous enteral tube feedings before a patient is turned or repositioned, and routinely inserting rectal tubes for patients with diarrhea. You know that ALL three (3) of these practices are currently NOT supported by nursing evidence. When asked, your preceptor responds, “This is the way we have always cared for patients with tube feedings and diarrhea.” You prepare to talk to this peer about necessary changes in nursing practice.
Initial Discussion Post:
Address the following:
- Choose ONE (1) of the practices described in the scenario.
- Describe how you will address this gap in nursing practice with your preceptor. Write out exactly what you might say to this RN to professionally address the current evidence for the nursing care of patients.
- Include when and where you would communicate this information
- Consider any additional information you might provide to your preceptor to support changing nursing practice
Base your initial post on your readings and research of this topic. Your initial post must contain a minimum of 250 words. References, citations, and repeating the question do not count towards the 250 word minimum.