Posted: February 8th, 2018
Potential effects of corticosteroids for arthritis : 3 Important Side Effects to Note
A client enters the emergency department confused, twitching, and having seizures. His family states he recently was placed on corticosteroids for arthritis and was feeling better and exercising daily.
On data collection, he has flushed skin, dry mucous membranes, an elevated temperature, and poor skin turgor. His serum sodium level is 172 mEq/L. Choose the interventions that the health care provider would likely prescribe. Select all that apply.
1. Monitor intake and output.
2. Monitor vital signs.
3. Maintain sodium-reduced diet.
4. Monitor electrolyte levels.
5. Increase water intake orally.
6. Administer sodium replacements.